Print thread view
fsx downloads, fsx aircraft, FS2004 aircrafts, fsx plane, Prepar3d, x-plane, fsx addons | FS 2002/2004 | Lessons
Author Using Nav1 radios
p51d

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:06
On my approach on the ILS (which I can still not figure out) I have read instructions to set my Nav1 radio with the ILS frequency and the CRS with the runway heading. I activate the NAV1 radio and... Altitude stays in and doesnt change over to APP, even when I am using EFIS to be sure I get the glideslope. I recently read something however, about activating NAV2 radio, now... I only thought we needed NAV1, could my failiure to set the NAV2 radio be the cause of my inability to land? and what frequency to i need to set NAV2 to?
Edited by webmaster on 02-05-2012 02:12
Author RE: Using Nav1 and Nav2 radios
jackfolla

Webmaster

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:07
NAV2 radio is a whole independent radio and you don't have to use it for autoland. But you can use it when you want to measure distance from another VOR station that is in the vicinity, or when you need to fly towards one VOR until crossing a radial from another, that can only be achieved with two radios. And ofcourse, if one fails, there's the second.
p51d

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:07
thanks, so i have the radios right but can anyone tell me why the Altitude hold doesnt automatically switch to APP hold when I intercept the glideslope from underneath. Instead, it keeps goin straight and over the glideslope, past the runway
jackfolla

Webmaster

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:08
You have to click on the GS or APP button to engage the Glideslope Hold. You can do that any time before you actually have the needle in the center position. And when it starts to come near the center position, the autpilot will go from thr Altituede Hold mode to Glideslope Hold mode.
p51d

yes, but unfortunately wheb you click APP hold, ALT disengages so i cant click APP and have ALT go off when i intercept the glideslope because at that point it is already off!
jackfolla

Webmaster

Yea, but the APP will hold present altitude until you intercept the glideslope.
p51d

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:09
okay - i landed one ILS after many tries and i still cant get it.. and its set to NAV not GPS ----- i got this panel with autoland of AVSIM that was recomended and suposably it does all this for you but im still figuring it out and id still need to know how to do the typical ILS.. so all i need is to keep practising and if it still doesnt work then I dont know - p.s.- is EFIS a good training tool and does the pathway represent the glideslope so i can check that i folow it, and does the speed at which i hit the glideslope make a diff? and if im supposed to intercept it at a 45deg. angle, does that mean goin straight on APP hold. When a good time to activate APP, after im done with NAV hold and have lined up with the runway, which reminds me, someimtes NAV just turns back and forth out of line with the runway, is there a reason for this overturning?
jackfolla

Webmaster

Posted on 23-06-2007 15:10
1. I suggest that you start out with a slow moving basic aircraft such as the Cessna 172. Practice with this aircraft then (when you feel comfortable) move up to a larger faster aircraft.

2. I will refer you to the same website that Ricktobin referenced in another post:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/