Print thread view
fsx downloads, fsx aircraft, FS2004 aircrafts, fsx plane, Prepar3d, x-plane, fsx addons | FSX | FSX General Discussion
Author FSX won't respond with addons, help me"
p51d

Posted on 28-01-2007 13:21
Hey Everyone, I'm on my third reinstall of FSX and I'm kind of fed up at this point so I figured it was about time I come here to ask for some help.

I've had FS since 98 and have been using add-ons and what not every since so I think I know how to put them into FS without messing up the system but, as it would seem with FSX, I am missing something. I've tried to add repaints from here along with some basic sound mods and ground texture mods for the game but when I do the game ceases to work thereafter. It simply won't respond once I click the icon to start it and the computer process manager even says that the application is "not responding". Remind you this is only after I have added or changed something, a basic default-everything, right after the install game play attempt works flawlessly hence why I am so confused. I apologize if I sound a bit harsh but I'm at my wits end here since I can't imagine having this sim for 2 years using only the default planes and scenery. Can someone please impart some wisdom and help me with this

smiley
Author RE: FSX won't respond with addons, help me"
jackfolla

Webmaster

Posted on 28-01-2007 13:23
Well, since the problems start with add-ons, perhaps a few details about what you do would help. Some things are different in FSX, such as .dll files being in the root directory instead of a separate modules directory. Some acceptable parameters in the fsx.cfg are different from what worked in the fs9.cfg (some, of course, are the same). Joystick assignments are no longer in the fs9.cfg. There are many other differences -- do any of the add-ons change any of that?

Have you tried putting in the add-ons one (or maybe two) at a time, to see where the failures occur? Are they originally intended for FSX, FS9, or maybe even earlier? Do any of them install .dll files or overwrite textures, gauges, etc.? In what directories are you installing the aircraft add-ons? ...the scenery add-ons? Are you messing with (or copying) scenery.cfg or other special FS files, such that the originals in FSX get hosed?

These are the questions that come to mind immediately. Other folks may have more, or your answers to these questions may trigger other thoughts.

Something that can work when add-ons are proving troublesome is deleting your fsx.cfg file (documents and settings||application data|microsoft|FSX) - FSX will automatically rebuild it on start-up, hopefully without any errors that might have crept in during the add-on install process. You'll have to re-set all your game settings.

good luck!smiley