Simnetwork Photo Gallery - Online military and civilian collection

Home > Military aircraft gallery > Raf

anson_mkii.jpg
Avro Anson Mk II531 viewsThe Anson first flew in 1935 and went on to serve in a wide variety of roles during the Second World War. Over 11 000 were built and the Anson was still flying for the Royal Air Force in 1968. Anson II's were used primarily to train pilots to fly multi-engined aircraft such as the Lancaster. However wireless operators, navigators, and bomb-aimers used the Anson as well. As a training aircraft the Anson was docile, forgiving, and easy to fly.11111
(11 votes)
avro-626.jpg
AVRO 626271 viewsThe Avro 626 was developed in 1930 from the Tutor with an optional third seat in a rear cockpit with provision for a gun ring. Numerous sales were made to foreign air forces up to 1939, some of which survived in second-line service until 1945. At least two 626s survived in Belgium's Aeronautique Militaire until 1940.
Avro Prefect: The RAF bought seven Tutor/Avro 626 hybrids, two-seaters with Lynx IVC engines, to Specification 32/34 as navigation trainers for service at School of Air Navigation, Andover. Delivered in 1935, they operated during WWII on miscellaneous duties. Four Lynx-engined Prefects supplied to RNZAF in 1935 were three-seaters; one survived to 1945.
22222
(9 votes)
avro-manchester.jpg
Avro Manchester330 viewsThe Avro Manchester had a relatively brief service career, from November 1940 to June 1942, largely because of problems associated by the unreliability and eventual lack of power shown by the Rolls-Royce Vulture I engines with which it was fitted. The bomber could, however, maintain height on one engine, and in one case an aircraft flew 600 miles from Berlin to its base in England after having had an engine knocked out by gunfire in addition to other extensive damage. In addition to a 10,350 pound bomb load in cavernous bomb-bay nearly half the length of the fuselage, the armament consisted of eight .303-inch machine-guns: two in the nose, two in a dorsal turret, and four in a turret in the tail.
Though unsuccessful the Avro Manchester design demonstrated sufficient promise to warrant further modification.
11111
(13 votes)
avro_lancastrian.jpg
Avro Lancastrian356 viewsIn 1944 Avros, at their Waddington factory, began a conversion of the Lancaster, to follow that, which had been made by Victory Aircraft in Canada. This was to make an aircraft for long-range navigational flights. The nose and tail sections were modified and extra fuel tanks added. The new machine was named the Avro Lancastrian; and was delivered to The Empire Air Navigation School at RAF Shawbury.The first plane was called Aries, and it set off on the first, circumnavigation of the world. QANTAS airline of Australia used Lancastrians, on their London to Australia flights. BSAA also used Lancastrians on regular flights to South America; as did Flota Aerea Mercante Argentina. The Canadian Authorities had established a regular route from Canada toBritain earlier. This plane had a range of 4,100 miles with a 7,500 lb payload.22222
(10 votes)
avro_lincoln.jpg
Avro Lincoln264 viewsHeavy bomber developed from the Lancaster, and initially known as the Lancaster B Mk.IV. The Lincoln, bigger and with a longer range, was developed for a British campaign in the far East, but was never used in this role because of the end of WWII. It compared unfavourably with more modern designs like the B-29, but was kept in service until 1963 and saw in combat over Kenya and Malaya. One was shot down on its way to Berlin in 1957. 22222
(11 votes)
avsword_1.jpg
Fairey Albacore902 viewsThe Fairey Albacore is a single-engine carrier-borne biplane torpedo bomber built by Fairey Aviation between 1939 and 1943 for the Fleet Air Arm. It had a three-man crew and was designed for spotting and reconnaissance as well as delivering bombs and torpedoes. The Albacore, popularly known as the "Applecore", was conceived as a replacement for the ageing Fairey Swordfish, which had entered service in 1936. However, the Albacore served with the Swordfish and was retired before it, being replaced by the monoplane Fairey Barracuda torpedo bomber.

The Albacore prototypes were built to meet Specification S.41/36 for a three-seat TSR (torpedo/spotter/reconnaissance) for the FAA. The first of two prototypes flew on December 12 1938 and production of the first batch of 98 aircraft began in 1939. Early Albacores were fitted with the Bristol Taurus II engine and those built later received the more powerful Taurus XII.

No. 826 Squadron FAA was specially formed to operate the first Albacores in March, 1940. Carrier-based squadrons began operating the Albacore in 1941. Eventually there were 15 FAA squadrons equipped with the plane which operated widely in the Mediterranean. Albacores participated in the Battle of Cape Matapan and the fighting at El Alamein as well as supporting the landings at Sicily and Salerno. During the period September 1941 to end of June 1943 No. 828 Squadron FAA, Hal-Far, Malta, operated a squadron of TSR Fairey Albacores under some of the most severe blitz conditions imaginable during the siege of Malta, mainly against Italian shipping and shore targets in Sicily.

In 1943 the Albacore was replaced by the Barracuda. The last Albacore squadron, No. 841, disbanded in late 1943. The Royal Canadian Air Force took over the Albacores and used them during the Normandy invasion.
22222
(8 votes)
gladiator2.jpg
Gloster Gladiator833 viewsThe Gloster Gladiator (or Gloster SS.37) was a British-built biplane fighter. It was used by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Royal Navy (as the Sea Gladiator variant) and was exported to a number of other air forces during the late 1930s. It was the RAF's last biplane fighter aircraft and was rendered obsolete by newer monoplane designs even as it was being introduced. Though often pitted against more formidable foes during the early days of the Second World War, it acquitted itself reasonably well in combat.

The Gladiator saw action in almost all theatres during the Second World War, with a large number of air forces, some of them on the Axis side. The RAF used it in France, Norway, Greece, the defence of Malta, and the brief Anglo-Iraqi War (in which the Royal Iraqi Air Force was similarly equipped). Other countries deploying the Gladiator included China against Japan, beginning in 1938; Finland (along with Swedish volunteers) in the Winter War and the Continuation War; and Norway, Belgium, and Greece
00000
(0 votes)
Hawker_HurricaneII.jpg
HAWKER HURRICANE Mk IIB327 viewsThe Hurricane bore the brunt of the fighting during the Battle of Britain &, of the 14,00 built, only three examples remain airworthy. This particular machine is painted to represent the aircraft of the late Squadron Leader Archie McKellar33333
(19 votes)
Hawker_Hurricane_2c.jpg
HAWKER HURRICANE Mk IIC438 viewsThis most famous partner to the Spitfire was the predominant fighter in use by the RAF during the Battle of Britain. Designed by Sidney Camm, this aircraft was the first RAF fighter to exceed 300mph & the first eight gun monoplane to enter service. This aircraft saw service throughout the war & was the mount of many great pilots of the War years. It is an interesting & judicious point to note that there were 1,326 Hurricanes & 967 Spitfires on strength during the Battle of Britain, a fine testimony to this fine aeroplane, This particular aircraft was flown by Sqn. Ldr. D. G. Smallwood.22222
(9 votes)
Hurricane_Mk1.jpg
Hurricane MKI331 views The new Mk.I included a deHaviland or Rotol constant-speed metal propeller, ejector exhaust stacks for added thrust, metal-covered wings, armour and other changes. At the start of the war the RAF had taken on about 500 of this later design, and it formed the backbone of the fighter squadrons during the Battle of France and into the Battle of Britain.

Although it may have been an older design, the Hurricane was still a worthy fighter on its own and a reasonable match for the Messerschmitt Bf 109 it faced. In the photo The first production Hurricane Mk.I at [[Brooklands]], November 1937.
33333
(8 votes)
lancaster.jpg
Avro Lancaster241 viewsThe Lancaster bomber was one of the most famous bombers of World War 2 its bomb load exceeding that of any other aircraft in full-scale production at the time. Only two examples are flying at the present time although there are several static examples in existence. With four Rolls-Royce Merlin engines giving a top speed of 287 mph and a range of 1,660 miles, the Lancaster’s’ seven-man crew could provide a knockout punch with a typical load of 18,000 pounds of high explosive over the target. Along with the Handley Page Halifax, the Lancaster gave the UK the offensive striking power needed to penetrate German air defenses during World War II. 33333
(11 votes)
lincoln.jpg
Avro Lincoln269 viewsHeavy bomber developed from the Lancaster, and initially known as the Lancaster B Mk.IV. The Lincoln, bigger and with a longer range, was developed for a British campaign in the far East, but was never used in this role because of the end of WWII. It compared unfavourably with more modern designs like the B-29, but was kept in service until 1963 and saw in combat over Kenya and Malaya. One was shot down on its way to Berlin in 1957. 22222
(9 votes)
17 files on 2 page(s) 1