Simnetwork Photo Gallery - Online military and civilian collection

Home > Military aircraft gallery > Raf

Last additions - Raf
Avro Lancastrian363 viewsIn 1944 Avros, at their Waddington factory, began a conversion of the Lancaster, to follow that, which had been made by Victory Aircraft in Canada. This was to make an aircraft for long-range navigational flights. The nose and tail sections were modified and extra fuel tanks added. The new machine was named the Avro Lancastrian; and was delivered to The Empire Air Navigation School at RAF Shawbury.The first plane was called Aries, and it set off on the first, circumnavigation of the world. QANTAS airline of Australia used Lancastrians, on their London to Australia flights. BSAA also used Lancastrians on regular flights to South America; as did Flota Aerea Mercante Argentina. The Canadian Authorities had established a regular route from Canada toBritain earlier. This plane had a range of 4,100 miles with a 7,500 lb payload.Sep 24, 2004
Avro Lincoln273 viewsHeavy bomber developed from the Lancaster, and initially known as the Lancaster B Mk.IV. The Lincoln, bigger and with a longer range, was developed for a British campaign in the far East, but was never used in this role because of the end of WWII. It compared unfavourably with more modern designs like the B-29, but was kept in service until 1963 and saw in combat over Kenya and Malaya. One was shot down on its way to Berlin in 1957. Sep 24, 2004
Avro Manchester336 viewsThe Avro Manchester had a relatively brief service career, from November 1940 to June 1942, largely because of problems associated by the unreliability and eventual lack of power shown by the Rolls-Royce Vulture I engines with which it was fitted. The bomber could, however, maintain height on one engine, and in one case an aircraft flew 600 miles from Berlin to its base in England after having had an engine knocked out by gunfire in addition to other extensive damage. In addition to a 10,350 pound bomb load in cavernous bomb-bay nearly half the length of the fuselage, the armament consisted of eight .303-inch machine-guns: two in the nose, two in a dorsal turret, and four in a turret in the tail.
Though unsuccessful the Avro Manchester design demonstrated sufficient promise to warrant further modification.
Sep 24, 2004
AVRO 626277 viewsThe Avro 626 was developed in 1930 from the Tutor with an optional third seat in a rear cockpit with provision for a gun ring. Numerous sales were made to foreign air forces up to 1939, some of which survived in second-line service until 1945. At least two 626s survived in Belgium's Aeronautique Militaire until 1940.
Avro Prefect: The RAF bought seven Tutor/Avro 626 hybrids, two-seaters with Lynx IVC engines, to Specification 32/34 as navigation trainers for service at School of Air Navigation, Andover. Delivered in 1935, they operated during WWII on miscellaneous duties. Four Lynx-engined Prefects supplied to RNZAF in 1935 were three-seaters; one survived to 1945.
Sep 24, 2004
Avro Anson Mk II539 viewsThe Anson first flew in 1935 and went on to serve in a wide variety of roles during the Second World War. Over 11 000 were built and the Anson was still flying for the Royal Air Force in 1968. Anson II's were used primarily to train pilots to fly multi-engined aircraft such as the Lancaster. However wireless operators, navigators, and bomb-aimers used the Anson as well. As a training aircraft the Anson was docile, forgiving, and easy to fly.Sep 24, 2004
17 files on 2 page(s) 2